Thursday, July 26, 2007

Brew #60: ED's White Oak Porter

Here's a Fuller's London Porter clone recipe that I'm flavoring with oak chips. Usually things steeped in oak pull out hints of vanilla and thats what I'm going for here. I am using medium roast American white oak chips. When I described this to the owner of Austin Homebrew, he stated that French oak will give better vanilla flavor and be smoother too. Where was he when I was buying the recipe? The plan is to let it sit with the oak chips a month. If it looks clean, I'll rack into a keg. If not, then off to a carboy for another month.
Update: The airlock was still pretty busy. Secondary fermentation was in full swing. I'm getting impatient to have new flavors of beer, so I stuck this in the fridge to crash the yeast and make it go dormant. 08-05-2007.
Update: Nice and cold and racked into a keg. The wood chips are coarse enough that they won't transfer. The beer gave more vanilla type aromas when it was room temperature. Cold and flat, the roasted oak flavor is coming through. Not as much of the vanilla notes as I had hoped, but I'll wait until full carbonation until I give a final verdict. Still, the flavor is interesting. I call it a winner. 08-06-2007.

Brewed: 07-07-2007
Racked: 07-13-2007 (w/ oak chips)
Kegged: 08-06-2007

OG=1.056@73F
FG=1.012@54F

ABV=5.895%

No comments: