Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Brew #87: White Oak Porter

This is batch #3 of the White Oak Porter. Batch #1 was a very good drinking beer. Batch #2 was a lesson that you don't get lazy and leave it sitting on the wood for 6 weeks. It tastes like wood! On this one I'll target two to two and a half weeks. Using French Oak because I've been told it gives a stronger vanilla profile and tastes a bit smoother.

I stole a taste at the two week mark and didn't have enough of the flavors that I wanted, so I let it go longer. It went 3 1/2 weeks. I was getting a nice promising aroma. My production line is a bit behind though. I need to get some kegs empty and swap the picnic taps so I can taste and measure final gravity too.

I have my one older tap with a short hose. I got to taste this one. Yummy! Very smooth. I'm thinking the French Oak is the way to go. I'm surprised how high the FG is. It would normally finish lower. Perhaps the oak adds to the density.

Brewed: 04-21-2008
Racked: 04-29-2008 (w/ 2.5 oz. French Oak cubes)
Kegged: 05-24-2008

OG=1.051@72F
FG=1.018@74F

ABV=5.109%

No comments: