Thursday, May 1, 2008

20080501: May Day

Just a time to note I haven't kept up all the beer events in a while. I've attended the Bluebonnet and come away with no ribbons and no stein. But I think I got famous for my chocolate raspberry chocolate stout served on beergas. It is the fun stuff that keeps me stoked about homebrewing and beer in general. Since then, I've brewed five more batches, attended a couple more Black Star socials, and attended a Dogfish Head thing at the Alamo Drafthouse. 12 Dogfish Head beers paired with cheese. Yum! I especially liked a peppercorn cheese.

Today, Debbie and I tasted her Grapefruit Hefeweizen. Not enough grapefruit yet. I also took a taste of my next batch of Extra Simcoe Bitter. It's an ESB that had 1 ounce of Simcoe as a dry hop. If I do it right, the nose will be Fruit Loops. Great taste to it no matter what the nose turns out like.

I racked a Belgian Summer Saison to keg over the week. I've substituted hops on the recipe and there seems to be a bit of zing where it was normally smooth. I also put my Psychedelic Monk into a keg. I started at 1.098 and was at 1.018. The target was to finish out at 1.014. It's a bit sweet, but at 10.48% ABV already, I don't know if the yeast will do much. I'll wait another month or two. Time will only help smooth this one out.

Now is when I'm getting ready to bring beer to a few events. I have a co-worker going to Denver and he's got a bye bye party. I think I'll bring 10-15 gallons to that. He's expecting 50 people and that would hold a good chance of drinking everything I bring.

Meanwhile, I caught a screening of Ironman tonight. Kick-ass. Enjoyed a Saison Dupont while watching. I love the Alamo Drafthouse.

BTW - Cookies!

No comments: