Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Brew #101: Vanguard Red

Revisit a nice brew with nothing over the top. Let's see if mixing Reverse Osmosis water with the filtered makes a difference. This batch also marks my first try at a starter. It's been cool lately where my kitchen may be at 66-68F. The airlock is showing activity by the next morning even at this cool of a temp.

This brew got a score of 32.5/50 at the Bluebonnet Brewoff. BJCP Amber Ale style. I think it is a good one for those people not into huge flavor. It is rather mellow as homebrews go, but that makes it a good drinkable beer.

At the beginning of June 2009, I've only got 7 bottles left. Might be enough to enter in the Lubbock contest and maybe Cerveza Fest in San Antonio.

Brewed: 01-27-2009
Racked: 02-02-2009
Kegged: 02-20-2009

OG=1.050@67F
FG=1.012@68F

ABV=4.978%

2 comments:

frasij said...

Great blog concept and layout. I like the idea of numbering your brews. Im on brew #6 today for National Homebrew Day (although I picked up the hobby over 3 years ago). I havent looked through all of your brews but do you have any recommendations for an extract oatmeal stout recipe?

ExtraDiveNanoBrew said...

JUst looking through the comment now. I've not done an oatmeal stout. Most of my brews are actually recipes that I find at Austin Homebrew (austinhomebrew.com), so I'd likely start there. I've also gotten the BeerToolsPro program and they have a library of recipes that other users have submitted. I can look through a few of those and try one or mix three or four to come up with my own recipe, but based on what others have brewed. I'm sure ProMash and Beersmith may have something similar. Google for stout recipes and you may find something worth trying too.