Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Brew #67: Extra Crystal Bitter

This is the AHS ESB recipe and I'm planning on putting leaf hops into the keg with it. I had done it before with Kent Goldings and I loved the finish. The first taste pounded your taste buds with piney notes, but the finish made it all worthwhile. When getting the recipe, there were no Kent Golding leaf hops, so I'm going to try Crystal. I've never tasted them as a dry-hop. Should be interesting. This brew I did late addition on the extract, but at 15 minutes left of the boil, not an extra bit of time at the end. I used Irish Moss to clear it up a bit more. Sadly, I fell asleep while it was cooling. 5 hours later, I awoke and turned off the wort chiller and got the yeast pitched. It hasn't taken off like some of the past ESB's. Maybe tomorrow.
Update: Got this one in the keg with Crystal Leaf hops in a muslin bag weighted with marbles. It is carbonated and the Crystal Hops are mellow enough that the balance is still good. I can still get a taste of the malt. It's a flavor that doesn't stand out. Instead it goes down mellow.

Brewed: 08-14-2007
Racked: 08-21-2007
Kegged: 09-09-2007 (kegged with 1/2 oz. Crystal Leaf hops.)

OG=1.053@70F
FG=1.004@77F

ABV=6.288%

1 comment:

Lee said...

Hey Ed, thanks for the ESB! I took the growler to my parents' house last night, it was a big hit with my dad and me. I was a little uncertain when you offered me ESB, because I've never had an ESB that really knocked me out, but this was VERY tasty. Well done.