Saturday, August 11, 2007

Brew #66: Scotch Ale


I've been commissioned to make a Scotch Ale. My friend Ronnie read about it and would like to try it. He bought the ingredients for the AHS Scotch Ale mini mash recipe including a 1% alcohol boost and two vials of Edinburgh Ale yeast. The final beer should get up to 9%. Brewed it last night and had no boilover. Yay for keeping the stovetop clean! I've taped some of my steps. I'll have to edit it down and post it on youtube. I'm expecting this to blow the top, but it will take a day or two.
Update: I was expecting BIG things from this, like a fermentation that would blow the top. I rigged up a blow-off tube into a quart bucket half full of water and everything. The fermentation was a constant bloop-bloop-bloop for a couple days and then settled down. Nothing huge though. It is looking rackable only 4 days later. I'll still wait out the week. I'll draw a bit off and let Ronnie try a taste over the weekend.

Brewed: 08-10-2007
Racked: 08-17-2007
Kegged: TBD

OG=1.089@76F
FG=TBD

ABV=TBD


No comments: