Monday, April 16, 2007

Brew #15: Barley Wine American

Barleywine. Now here is a big beer. Anchor makes Old Foghorn, the inspiration for this recipe.

Brewed 5-18-2000
1st Rack 5-23-2000
2nd Rack 8-18-2000
3rd Rack 12-12-2000
Kegged 8-6-2001

Before I got into brewing beer, people at the company I worked for would gather on Wednesday nights at the Gingerman in downtown Austin. This is one of those places that has an amazing selection of beers - like 110 on draft and another 50 in bottles. I tried to get something new every time I attended. One beer afficianado recommended mixing Foghorn with Sierra Nevada. The drink is called a "Foggy night in the Sierras". It blends the sweet of the barleywine with the extra hoppy goodness of a Sierra Nevada and makes a pleasant quaff. That is at least one of the inspirations for attempting this recipe.

I told my mentor that I brewed a barleywine. Pug said, "One year" and described that the higher alcohol beers must age a bit before they are smooth and drinkable. Surely, I wouldn't have to wait that long, thought I. After 3 months, I tried some. I know that it was three distinct flavors that happened at different times. First the sweet hit the tongue, then some alcohol went up the nose, followed by a bitter finish going down the throat. The aftertaste was pleasant enough. I tried another sip with the same result. After 6 months, these had blended into one flavor, but were a bit rough. I finally kegged after 15 months.

As for the brew, I call it so-so. In retrospect, I think I had it sitting on yeast too long and it has some off flavors from that. 3-4 bottles of this still exist, but I may dump them. The beer is too sweet for my tastes. I need a hoppy pale ale to mix it to drinkable for me.

No comments: